Commercial property owners know that having a professional commercial snow removal company is a necessity during the winter months, even with Metro Vancouver’s typically mild winters. But many business owners may not be aware of all the reasons why it’s important to contract a snow removal company to perform winter services. In this article, we’ll cover why a commercial property in Vancouver needs a snow removal company.
Snow clearing is important for both residential and commercial properties. Vancouver Commercial properties, in particular, need to have a professional winter service provider on contract to clear away snow and ice, and properly mitigate the risks of winter. Here are three reasons why:
1. Slips and Falls: One of the main dangers of snow and ice is that they can cause people to slip and fall. This is especially true for commercial properties, where there is often lots of foot traffic during the day. A professional snow removal company can help reduce the risk of slips and falls by clearing away all the snow and performing de-icing services by applying anti-icing fluid or brine to prevent ice build-up.
2. Businesses: When a major snowstorm hits, or even a little one, Greater Vancouver shuts down. This is incredibly costly for businesses, but by having a professional winter service company, a business can ensure that its customers & employees can safely access the business, making sure it stays open & operating during even the worst winter events.
3. Safety: In addition to reducing the risk of slips and falls, a winter service provider will also reduce the risk of vehicular accidents by having the snow removal equipment to plow roadways, and salt parking lots, removing any hazards caused by snow or ice.
A professional snow removal company is an essential part of keeping any commercial property safe and operational during the winter months. If you don’t already have a commercial snow removal services provider, now is the time to find a reputable winter service company in Vancouver.
It’s important to understand the dangers of not removing snow from your commercial property. Aside from the fact that it can be extremely difficult and time-consuming to shovel snow, here are three key reasons why you should always hire a professional snow removal company:
1. Risk of Injury: With large amounts of snow and ice on the ground, a slip and fall is bound to happen, potentially leading to serious injuries. This is especially true for businesses with customers coming and going. A professional snow removal company will ensure that all areas of your property are cleared and de-iced, reducing the risk of injuries and keeping your business out of liability.
2. Damage to Property: If snow and ice are allowed to accumulate on your property, it can cause serious damage. Roofs can collapse, sidewalks can break, and cars can get stuck in the snow. A professional snow company will take care to clear all areas of your property so that you don’t have to worry about any damage.
3. Safety Risk: Not only is there a risk of injury when there is too much snow on the ground, but there is also a safety risk associated with the use of heavy machinery like plows and skid steers. A professional winter service provider will have qualified operators operating their equipment to ensure damage to your property doesn’t occur.
When it comes to choosing a Vancouver snow removal company, it’s important to consider your specific needs and what services the company offers. Here are a few things to keep in mind when researching companies:
1. Experience: It’s important to choose a company that has a lot of experience removing snow from commercial properties. They will know how to safely clear all areas of your property and how to use the right equipment for the job.
2. Insured: Make sure the company you choose is available when you need them. Many companies offer 24/7 service, so you can rest assured that they will be there when a blizzard hits.
3. Price: It’s important to get quotes from multiple companies before deciding on one. Make sure you compare prices, as well as the quality of services offered.
Read more about how to choose a snow removal company in Vancouver.
By keeping these things in mind, you can find the right snow removal company for your property needs and be confident that your property will be kept out of liability during the winter months.
Commercial property owners have a responsibility to ensure that their properties are safe for employees, customers, and guests. This includes removing snow and ice from walkways, parking lots and entrances. Property owners who do not remove the snow and ice can be held liable for any injuries that occur on their property.
There are many dangers associated with winter weather. Slippery sidewalks and walkways can lead to falls and serious injuries. Icicles hanging from rooftops or overhangs can fall and cause damage or injury. Snow drifts can block access to entrances and exits, preventing people from getting in or out of the building. All of these dangers can be mitigated by hiring a professional snow removal company.
When choosing a snow removal company, it is important to consider the experience level, insurance coverage, and pricing. It is also important to read reviews from past clients to make sure you are selecting a reputable company with a good track record.
Request a quote today for your commercial snow removal in Vancouver
As the kids return to school, one of the last things on your mind, if at all, is snow & ice. But don’t worry, it’s on our minds!
With school district budgets squeezed, adequate funding for winter services is not typically a top priority. However, snow & ice don’t care about how large or tight your budget is; the danger of a child slipping and breaking a bone, or worse, is still present.
With tight educational budgets, school districts have a tendency to choose the lowest bid for winter services, or perform the services in-house, which both approaches come with their problems. Both scenarios typically lack the due diligence that proper winter management and liability mitigation require.
School districts are often under a lot of pressure to find the lowest bidder for services like snow removal. This can lead to a lack of care and attention, as the district is more concerned with saving money than making sure the job is done correctly. This can be especially dangerous when freezing temperatures and snow arrive; icy roads and sidewalks can lead to treacherous conditions for children and staff.
School districts need to choose a professional snow removal contractor who has valid Commercial General Liability insurance with a snow removal policy, well-maintained equipment, and policies that will ensure the job has been completed correctly. The unfortunate reality, however, is that snow removal insurance, well-maintained equipment, and procedures guaranteeing quality work and a safe environment are costly.
In recent years many school districts are choosing to perform de-icing themselves with their own maintenance crews. While contracting out strictly for snow removal services, can be a more affordable option, as the district doesn’t have to pay for a professional company’s ice management services. However, it can also be riskier and comes with its challenges.
Maintenance crews may not have the expertise in de-icing & anti-icing agents, and the proper application of de-icing materials to ensure school grounds will be ice-free. The lack of adequate training and education around proper de-icing techniques leaves students, teachers, and staff members vulnerable to potential injuries.
Many school districts, such as Vancouver, have decided to contract out winter services; however not include de-icing as part of their winter service agreement and rely on their own maintenance fleet to provide de-icing services for a relatively lower cost.
School district winter service agreements come with many clauses that expose a winter service company to extreme liability risk. One of which is the lack of de-icing; despite not directly providing ice management services, the company is still at risk of being liable for any slip & fall that may occur. It is also incredibly difficult to justify the operational burden of dedicating equipment and labour towards properties that may or may not ever need snow removal.
A company providing snow removal in Vancouver will find it far more lucrative to snow plow parking lots or snow shovel sidewalks lots than clear snow and ice from a school during a snow event.
The result is that most professional snow and ice management companies are simply not interested in providing services to school districts.
The elementary solution is to increase the budget for snow removal & salting services; however, with school districts throughout Metro Vancouver clawing for additional funding, that isn’t realistic.
We recommend school districts hire a professional winter service provider to provide consultation services to improve their liability mitigation strategy.
Parents need to inquire about their child’s school district’s winter liability mitigation strategy and advocate for professional winter services since no parent wants to receive a phone call informing them that their child was hurt as a result of something that could have been easily avoided.